new background

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Frustrations and Lessons in Priority KEEPING

YUP! It's that time again!

Time to break out "Elf"!

We are nearing the most wonderful time of the year!

...Here in Alaska anyways ;)

Here is yesterday morning's snow flurry:


The aftermath sits on the mountains next to our house:


Good time for indoor sports.
Like soccer!
Elyse and I are getting to watch daddy tear up the field-- it's a lot of fun!


It's official: yesterday was the most frustrating day of my life [that I can recall] ... And honestly, one of the most ungodly days in a long time.

That's probably the biggest reason I have had the frustrating day of my life.

I never felt like I needed a run so badly!!!

And It doesn't help that our family is outgrowing our vehicles at a rapid pace....

However, Andrew is very much improving in his role playing as he imitates Buddy the elf in this picture. He did such a good job that, for a couple of seconds there, I felt like I was actually in the movie!

Oh.. oh no, wait...

I was sitting in the mustang.

{Sigh}


...Yes, his head IS resting on the roof of the vehicle and his knees ARE resting on the dashboard...


I yi yia.....{another sigh}

After talking with my husband (who made me amazing pumpkin waffles for dinner because I just couldn't get to it) , it seems my priority KEEPING is far more difficult than my priority making. I have considered it good that I have kept many of my goals and project up to speed, but I have not done such a good job at keeping the main things the main thing...

I was reading a post from John Piper's blog yesterday (while at my most frustrating point of the day: nursing in the mustang and attempting to change a diaper that Elyse had blown out of-- o boy) who was reviewing the new release of Steve Job's book. The writer said Jobs was on to something when he told an interviewer it was no longer about going out and seeing the world/doing all sorts of things before he died, it became about the main things-- which for him, it was the iPhone and iPad. It's funny how death brings a new perspective on how to live life and how to do it well. The blog writer goes on to quote scripture for why this is significant, according to scripture: ' "It is better to go to the house of mourning than to go to the house of feasting” (Ecclesiastes 7:2). So much wisdom is to be had there. “Teach us to number our days that we may get a heart of wisdom” (Psalm 90:12). This is what the house of mourning is for: Lessons in mortality and the learning of wisdom.'

The biggest take away from Steve Jobs is this: do a couple of things and do them well. You don't have time for much. And a lot of things aren't lasting.... So that is where priorities come in. And FOCUSING on really striving to prioritize the top things.

So my challenge to you is the same I am giving myself today: prioritize the main things and carry them out well.

“Therefore, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord” (1 Corinthians 15:58)

"Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord” (Colossians 3:23).
“Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God” (1 Corinthians 10:31).
“Whatever you do, do everything in the name of the Lord” (Colossians 3:17).

 'By faith in Jesus, every act becomes this one thing—the work of the Lord'-- John Piper

So I suppose it's time to start the day with the main things as my day's priorities :)

Pray for me.



Have a blessed Thursday!

1 comment:

  1. Your pictures of Alaska made my stomach turn in knots! I didn't realize how much I missed it.

    ReplyDelete